Learn more about current opportunities to join our amazing team in ACE.
Alumni, Marketing, and Communications Specialist
Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics
Key Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Director of Undergraduate Admissions and Advising, this position has primary responsibility for working closely with the Office of Marketing and Communication and the ACES Alumni Association to coordinate the development and implementation of marketing and engagement projects for students, alumni, parents, donors, and other special constituents, and frequently serves as the primary writer and editor for these projects. As the Department’s liaison for the marketing team, this position participates in developing broader, multi-year communications plans, including key messages, tactics, and measures in support of increasing enrollment and private giving for the department. The incumbent writes and helps to develop a distinctive "voice" for the departmental social media channels, the bi-annual ACE Alumni and Friends Newsletter, and other key materials that reflect the character of the department, alumni, and donors. This incumbent writes copy, articles, and stories on a variety of topics for multiple print and electronic communications, and develops copy for letters, websites, and other collateral; provides communications support for special campaigns and initiatives. In all communications projects, this position demonstrates respect and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of audiences.
- In collaboration with the ACE Department Head, College of ACES Alumni Association staff, Advancement staff, and ACE alumni board vocational director, create and execute an alumni engagement plan for the Department of ACE.
- Coordinate alumni engagement events, including such activities as creating, training, and managing reunion and/or mentoring committees.
- Partner with the Undergraduate Advising Office to create and implement graduation events in an effort to establish alumni connections with the department.
- Support the inclusion of alumni in current ACE courses when appropriate.
- Ensure that alumni contact information is current and engagement is tracked in the campus constituent database (TED).
- Serve as primary point of contact for donors and alumni, including ensuring letters of thanks are sent to donors and coordinating social media features of scholarship recipients.
Marketing and Communication
- Coordinate development and implementation of marketing projects for students, alumni, parents, donors and other special constituent groups. Serve as the primary writer and editor, when necessary, for these projects.
- Work closely with the staff in ACE departmental leadership, Marketing and Communications, Academic Programs, Advancement, Alumni Relations, and other key areas to ensure communications projects help meet key goals and objectives.
- Ensure that content is creative and engaging, and that the content takes into account the diverse backgrounds of audiences.
- Serve as a communication liaison between the department of ACE and the College of ACES Office of Marketing and Communication.
- Serve as collaborator and primary writer for numerous student, alumni, and parent communications vehicles. These include, but are not limited to, ACE Alumni and Friends Newsletter, monthly e-newsletters for ACE faculty and staff, ACE social media platforms, and the ACE website.
- Develop a distinctive "voice" for newsletter, social media platforms, and other key materials that reflect the character of the department, alumni, and donors.
- Provide ongoing and timely content, as well as interactive content that is responsive to audience interests and concerns.
- Develop articles and other content related to alumni and parents for use in other campus publications, websites, and social media.
- Assist with editing material written by colleagues and other members of the campus community.
- Ensure that written material serves to reinforce the University of Illinois’ brand and key messages.
- Provide creative insight and analysis to assist with projects ranging from copy writing to multi-year communications.
- Coordinate special projects as needed and assist with divisional communication needs as they arise.
- Assist in the management of student employees as required.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, journalism, communications, or related field and one year of experience with communications and/or marketing materials.
Preferred: Two years of professional work experience in communications, marketing, public relations, brand management, or a related professional area. Experience using donor databases, project management software, and other computer-based systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Successful candidates will have the following:
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to interact with a broad array of internal and external constituents.
- Ability to be self-motivated, work independently, and prioritize tasks.
- Strong decision-making skills and judgment.
- Familiarity with fundraising, alumni relations, and stewardship.
- Ability to set and adhere to rigorous timelines with overlapping priorities.
- Ability to gain a broad understanding of the mission of the Department of ACE and the College of ACES.
- Experience using website content management tools like Drupal.
- Understanding of and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service Program Coordinator position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the deadline date. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by November 30, 2022. Apply for this position using the Apply Now on the linked site and upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and names/contact information for three professional references. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.