Internships are a great way for students to gain career experience while also earning academic credit towards their degree.
Finding an Internship
The College of ACES and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have great resources for students looking for internships. To find an internship, we recommend utilizing the following:
- Attend as many career fairs as possible. This includes the ACES + LAS Career Fair and the Illini Career & Internship Fair as well as the Gies Business Fair, Research Park Career Fair, Engineering Career Fair, and more!
- Conduct a thorough search using your Handshake@Illinois account. The more information you add to Handshake, the better your odds of finding and landing an internship.
- Utilize reliable outside search engines as recommended by The Career Center.
- Visit The Career Center and/or ACES Career Services for help exploring your interests and connecting with employers.
- Have your resume and cover letter reviewed. The Career Center even offers an online option!
- Consider applying to employers that have hired recent ACE graduates.
- Take ACE 341: Contemporary Issues and Careers in Applied Economics. In this course, students will gain exposure to recent graduates, recruiters, and industry professionals who can help guide them in their job and internship search.
What kinds of internships do ACE students get? Watch this video of some ACE students discussing their summer 2020 internships.
ACE students interested in policy and leadership also have the opportunity to apply for scholarships that cover costs related to their internship. For more information and to see what internships previous students have held, read our intern profiles for students who had internships in the policy realm.